Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I apply for need-based aid?
    For the 2017-2018 academic year, file the FAFSA anytime after October 1st using the prior prior year’s tax return information (2015). File the FAFSA at
  2. Is there a deadline for filing the FAFSA?
    The priority handling deadline for new undergraduate students is March 1st, but we highly encourage filing by the end of January if possible. We also encourage you to file the FAFSA  utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA.
  3. What is WWC’s school code?
  4. I don’t think that I’m eligible for financial aid, should I still apply?
    Yes! Even if you are not eligible for need-based aid, you will still be eligible for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents.
  5. How do I apply for WWC honor and merit scholarships? (new undergraduate students only) 
    Contact the Admission Office for more information about WWC scholarships.
  6. My FAFSA has been selected for verification. Why was my information selected for verification? What do I do?
    FAFSAs are randomly selected for verification by the Federal Processor. We will let you know what information we will need from you.
  7. Can my Financial Aid Award be faxed or emailed to me?
    For incoming students, we send the Financial Aid Award through the mail.  Current students will receive an e-mail to check Net Partner for their award information when it is ready.
  8. How do I apply for the Federal Direct loan?
    1. Accept student loans on the Accept Awards tab of Net Partner.
    2. Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) with the Federal Department of Education at
    3. Complete Entrance Counseling at
  9. What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN)?
    The MPN is your agreement with the Federal Department of Education to borrow and repay Federal loan funds. It is a “promise” to repay the amount borrowed. You can apply online with the Federal Department of Education using your FSA ID as your electronic signature.
  10. What is the difference between Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans? 
    The Federal government pays the interest on the Direct Subsidized loan while the student is enrolled. This loan is need-based and is set at 3.76% for the 2016-2017 school year. It is only available to undergraduate students. The Unsubsidized loan accrues interest while the student is enrolled and is set at 3.76 % interest for undergraduate students and at 5.31% for graduate students for 2016-2017. Both loans are deferrable for a six-month grace period following -graduation or withdrawal.  The interest rates for 2017-2018 will be announced at a later date.
  11. Why hasn’t my aid been credited to my student account? 
    Your file is not complete. You can look at the Pending Requirements tab of  Net Partner or contact our office at 828-771-2082 to find out what forms you still need to submit to complete your financial aid file.
  12. I’ve received a scholarship from an outside source! Do you need a copy of the award letter?
    Yes–please forward a copy to the Financial Aid office as soon as possible. Congratulations!
  13. Does WWC match Americorps awards?
    No, we are unable to match Americorps.
  14. I’m expecting a financial aid refund. Can I use this money to  buy my books?
    If you are due a refund, it will not be made available to you in time! Contact the Accounting Office about a bookstore voucher.
  15. I am taking a Leave of Absence (LOA) through Warren Wilson College for the upcoming semester. How does this affect my  financial aid? 
    By taking a formal LOA through the Registrar’s Office, you are eligible for honor/merit scholarship renewal if you meet the requirements specified in your original scholarship award letter. You will need to reapply for financial aid by filing the FAFSA for the academic year applicable to the semester of your return. An additional benefit of taking an LOA is pre-registering electronically with your class.
    * If you have borrowed any educational loans (Federal Direct, Federal Stafford, or private loans) while enrolled, when you begin an internal WWC LOA your six-month repayment deferral (grace) period will begin!
  16. I have fewer dollars in savings than I did when I filed the FAFSA. May I up-date my assets?
    No, the reported assets provide a “snapshot” of your financial situation on the day that you filed the FAFSA.
  17. When do I have to begin repayment of my student loans?
    You have a 6-month deferral (grace) period following graduation or withdrawal. If you fall below half-time enrollment, your grace period will begin.
  18. How do I request an official tax transcript from the IRS? 
    Click here to find out how to request an official tax transcript.