The Department of Modern Languages
The Bachelor of Arts degree with a Modern Languages major emphasizes language proficiency to prepare students to use Spanish or French in professional areas and to undertake graduate level studies. The mission of the Modern Languages Department is to combine language training with service and work in domestic and international settings and to promote experiential and academic understanding of cross-cultural communications.
The goals of the Warren Wilson College Modern Languages Program are as follows:
- To enable students to study university level courses abroad in the target language.
- To ensure that students can use Spanish or French in their areas of expertise.
- To enable students to navigate the cultural conventions of the Spanish or French speaking world.
- To give students advanced level competence in all levels of language study.
- To prepare students for graduate studies.
Students fulfill the major’s academic requirements by complementing their course work at Warren Wilson as well as offerings at other institutions with which Warren Wilson College has agreements, or at other international academic programs that have been approved in advance by the department.